Decisions- Your Secret Swiper Shot To Better Results
The experts have fooled you BIG TIME.
“Action, action, we want action!” is drilled into you daily, hourly even, like the most irritating American cheerleading squad in skimpy outfits. UGH. I agree.
Of course you need to take action. That’s not really an optional bit of any process or creating something, solving something or becoming something.
And YET….it can feel not only optional but absolutely utterly terrifying if you struggle making decisions!
DECISION MAKING is the precursor to all of the go go go crap- whether you live in the Gary V hustle bootcamp or the woo prairie land of manifestation. ( I have dual citizenship, so no judgments from me on either!)
Why do we struggle with decisions so much and what can we do about it- besides the current plan of pretend, run in a circle and hit a wall on repeat?
First let’s define this decision thing.
Yes there is the ever ready ‘eenie meenie miney mo’ kind, but you’re not here for that.
Separate from the drama your lil brain kicks up, a real decision gets made with 7 basic steps:
- Identify what you are deciding on (don’t laugh people skip this part!)To make a decision, you must first identify the problem you need to solve or the question you need to answer. The why, what and how choosing will help you move forward matters the MOST.
- Gather relevant information aka don’t do the guessing thing! What are you needing to decide on and what elements come into play? The reason here is so you build some self trust in your ability to ‘get’ you are equipped to decide and stop defaulting to others to choose for you.
- Identify the options– before you can commit to THE decision, you need to check in with yourself what other ways you could choose so you are clear. Otherwise FOMO sneaks in and next thing you know, you are peeking at all other green pastures other than the grassy knoll you chose!
- Weigh the evidence– don’t, I mean DO NOT skip this step. Why? Because your army of mind monkeys are gearing up to drive you insane if you don’t. Nuff said.
- Choose among alternatives– wear each choice for a bit. Use that fabulous imagination you have for something other than disaster tripping and play out what each choice would feel like to wear, even just in theory. Again each bit of this makes you feel like a wizard chooser- very key for later, I promise!
- Take action. Oh heyyyyy- there’s the A-C-T-I-O-N part finally! DO something with the choice, don’t frame it on your mantle!
- Review your decision.- yes. You. Slow down before you go running flashing it everywhere. Let it nestle in, become yours, stretch out a bit. This way when other humans start poking holes and judging you, you don’t start doubting the beautiful process you just went on!
Aiight…..so now that we have that explained, why do we all suffer so much to MAKE a decision or think that just keeping moving will sort the decisions for us? What gives, man?
- YOU ARE AFRAID OF BEING WRONG. AGAIN.
Secret- no one knows what the hell they are doing ever, even when they get really good at pretending they do. The game of success and fulfillment is 60% smart chance taking 20% courage and 10% strategy. Truth.
Stop disasterizing (made up word, go with me) all of the things that can fail and just try. Just choose. Allow the tweaks to come after you actually decided. It’s less scary that was and even becomes fun. I promise.
2. YOU ARE AFRAID YOU WILL BE JUDGED.
Secret- the people who judge feel even more inadequate than you do. Is that really who you want deciding your future for you? Find people who also take chances to surround yourself with. People who inspire you by how they show up. Borrow their courage to build your own!
3. YOU MAKE IRRATIONAL DECISIONS WHEN YOU ARE EMOTIONAL DRIVEN.
Secret- I am always emotionally driven. Lots of us are! It makes you the whole, unique, dynamic glorious being you are. You want a drone life? Dude, you are reading the wrong author if that’s the case!
Learn to understand and use your emotions to your benefit instead of your demise. Separate the data of the decision from the drama of the decision. Fortify yourself with things and experiences that you trust yourself in rather than trying to unearth all new decisions at once. (Not speaking from experience at all, obvs)
You want to overhaul your health? Commit to small steps and win at those FIRST before thinking you can do all new things at once.
Create rituals around your new decisions that make you feel safe and excited instead of scared and overwhelmed.
Honor those damn feelings, Maverick. They are there for a reason!
4. YOU THINK IT’S WEAK TO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT SO YOU FREEZE IN BRAVADO
Secret- that’s stupid, so let’s just drop it. The strongest ask for help. The bravest let go of what doesn’t work. The courageous know when they are out of their element. If your basic needs of self care, self trust and self awareness aren’t in place you can’t change the world, big shot. So support yourself by asking for help to see the blind spots so your decision come from a more whole you, not a stroppy inner 7 year old yelling ‘I know you are but what am I’ when it gets scared. Not kidding. Wiring.
5. YOU ARE AFRAID OF GETTING STUCK IN NEW CHOICES THE WAY YOU ARE IN OLD ONES
Secret- this is a mind f*ck. I repeat- abort mission it’s not REAL. No one is ever stuck. Scared, yes. Stuck, no. Get humble enough to learn flexibility and solid enough to get up and leave when something isn’t working for you. Martyrdom has no role in a winning mindset and successful business of life. Plan on shifting gears and be ok with learning lessons- no one got a medal for never making mistakes- because they never get far enough to actually win anything without losing stuff first!
Now you are primed and real for epic decision making AND action….just make sure you do them in the right order for YOU!
Sometimes it’s leap and then tweak, sometimes it’s tweak and then leap.
Both are right. Now let’s go get em!
~ Chief Maverick slaps your ass and sends you out into the field of life to go makes yourself proud~